CENTER FOR GENDER STUDIES
About Center of Gender Studies
Established in 2016, the Center of Gender Studies (CGS) at the Indian Institute of Health Management Research (IIHMR) University aims to generate policy-relevant knowledge on the gender-health-development linkages, within the broader framework of human rights and capabilities. The CGS has its origin in the ‘Resource Center on Women’s Health, Empowerment and Rights’ that was set up in 1997 in the then IIHMR Institute in a project mode for five years with the financial support from the Ford Foundation. The experience and knowledge generated through this project highlighted the significance of institutionalizing gender, and ‘Gender Health Resource Center’ (GHRC) was established. The Center promoted gender-sensitive knowledge on health through academic programs, research and management development programs.
In recognition of its work in the area of health systems management, in 2013 IIHMR was accorded the status of a university. This provided IIHMR an opportunity to diversify in other fields of study relevant to health and development. In line with these structural changes, the CGS, that leverages and builds on the previous work and experiences. The CGS believes that gender relates to men and women both, as well as such people who do not identify with their assigned gender at birth or the binary gender system. The CGS aims to generate evidence-based knowledge on the gender aspects of health, and how they relate to development policy and practice.
More specifically, the key activities of CGS through which it promotes knowledge on gender-health-development nexus include:
- Offering courses/ sessions on gender in the existing postgraduate programs in the streams of health, hospital, pharmaceutical and rural management.
- Providing technical support for gender mainstreaming in planning, implementing and monitoring and evaluation of programs
- Generating policy-relevant research on various aspects of gender-health-development nexus.
- iv) Acting as a vibrant forum for building capacities of persons involved in implementation and formulations of the policies related to gender, health and development.
- v) Organizing events like lectures, seminars, workshops, competitions on wide-ranging gender issues to sensitize the students and staff of the university to the importance of gender.
- vi) Collaborating with community groups, national and international non-governmental organizations, policymakers, other academic institutions, with the purpose of promoting gender-transformative outcomes.
For any queries, suggestions, collaborations and contributions, please contact us at:
Director CGS, IIHMR University
1, Prabhu Dayal Marg, Sanganer Airport, Jaipur 302029, India
Phone: +91 141 3924700