Estimating Technical Efficiency of the Urban Health Centers in Rajkot
- Ruchika Panigrahi
- Agency : Urban Health, Urban Health Centers, Technical Efficiency Data Envelopment Analysis
- Objective : This study was conducted to estimate the technical efficiency of the Urban Health Centers in Rajkot so as to understand the bottlenecks in their performance which was preventing them to achieve their target performance.
- Background : Not Available
- Methodology : The data under nine heads were collected from the twelve Urban Health Centers under study for the year 2008-09, the heads being the No. of Link Persons, No. of ANMs, No. of Mamta Sessions planned, No. of Mamta sessions Held, Total No. of Pregnant Beneficiaries, Total No. of beneficiaries of 0- 5 years, Total No. of TL/NSV operations done, Total No. of IUD inserted, Total No. of OPD Cases(New). The Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) is then run on the collected data. DEA produces a single multidimensional score of performance by considering explicitly the mix of all the services provided through all the resources used. Single efficiency score has other major advantages, which makes the envelope analysis more purposeful and useful. Single efficiency scores allow us to rank all the service providers as per their performance score, less efficient providers can then locate their position vis-à-vis their ‘peers’ who are able to use resources more efficiently.
- Findings : The analysis showed that out of twelve Urban Health Centers, Five centers are running inefficiently. The main area for the potential improvement for all the Health Centers was in increasing TL/NSV cases and IUD cases as well. The emphasis to be given to the various services in each center also came into light that too with a logical concern.
- Recommendations : The DEA proved to be an efficient tool itself to estimate the technical efficiency of the Urban Health Centers in Rajkot. Not only did we come to know about the inefficient centers but also we could determine the areas where the focus should be paid so as to improve the performance of the centres towards attainment of the better Reproductive and Child Health Services in the Rajkot city.