Study on Community Perception about a District Hospital in Relation to IPHS Norms
- Neha Awasthi
- Agency : Community Perception, District Health, IPHS Norms, NRHM
- Objective : This study (dissertation) was designed to examine how the consumers of services of secondary health care at District hospital, at Jodhpur viewed their health-seeking experience, and this was correlated with organizational aspects as well as the community perceptions of the same. This study sought to understand community perception; assess clients’ satisfaction and the facility survey against IPHS norms.
- Background : A concern for patient satisfaction has been taken up by many health care authorities worldwide with the aim of responding to the client’s needs when addressing the issue of quality improvements in public health care services. Standards are developed with intentions of assuring quality services. Therefore, National Rural Health Mission has provided the opportunity to set IPHS for various health institutions.
- Methodology : This is a descriptive study, conducted during 19 February, 2010 to 5 May, 2010. Methods of data collection employed were schedules and collection through observation and by conducting interviews. Study was conducted undertaken at the hospital and includes an area covered by four anganwadi centres.
- Findings : In this area 80 percent of women who rely upon public health sector for the child birth do not come to the hospital, 48 percent of women do not know about the location of this hospital. Most women who attended the hospital for came because trusted an employee who was a relative and not because of the services of the hospital. Half of the clients rated the hospital good,( 3 in scale of 1 to 5, where 1 is poor and 5 is excellent), 59 percent clients said that they visit this hospital for mall ailments and two third (67 Percent) accepted that they would not like to get admit in the hospital. Overall Hospital only complies with 17 percent of the IPHS norms. This data analysis depicts the discrepancy between expectation of services from hospital and actual delivery of services.
- Recommendations : To improve the facility as per community perception and IPHS norms it was recommended that a government organization cannot develop at facility level itself. There several areas where State and district level interventions are required.