Toll Free for Admission 1800-3010-5700

Menstrual Hygiene Practices of Adolescent Girls in Urban Slums of Dehradun District


  • Surabhi Verma
  • Agency : Menstrual Hygiene Practices, Urban Slum, Sanitation, Restriction
  • Objective : 1) To know awareness, prior knowledge and practices prevalent among the study population regarding menstruation. 2) To elicit their experiences and sources of information about menstruation in study population. 3) To find out the status of menstrual hygiene among the adolescent girls, 4) To elicit their belief, conception and identify the restriction practices of adolescent girls and, 5) To find the difference between the hygiene practices of school going and non –school going girls.




  • Background : Menstruation is a phenomenon unique to all females. Hygiene-related practices during menstruation are of considerable importance for reproductive health. Poor practices increase vulnerability to reproductive tract Infections. Good hygiene, such as use of sanitary pads and adequate washing of the genital area, is essential during menstruation. Menstruation is regarded as unclean or dirty in Indian society. Despite being a natural process it is linked with several misconceptions and practices which sometimes result into adverse health outcomes.



  • Methodology : It was a Community-based cross-sectional study in urban slums of Dehradun District done from February to March, 2012. 101girls from the above-mentioned study area was selected as study population. A pre-designed, pre-tested questionnaire was developed. After taking verbal permission from the parents of the girls they were explained the purpose of the study. This pre-structured questionnaire included topics relating to awareness about menstruation, source of information regarding menstruation, hygiene practiced during menstruation and restricted activities practiced during menstruation.



  • Findings : Not Available

    Result:
    The degree of awareness girls had regarding menstruation and on how their body functions at large were scarce. Only 23% could respond to the correct cause of menstruation while the rest did not know about it. 49%of adolescents surveyed received information on menstruation before having their menarche, either from their mother, teacher or friends. About 72% respondents were facing the physical problem at the time of their period. It is depicted that majority of them were facing the problem of abdominal pain. Half of the adolescent girls surveyed used sanitary pads exclusively and 23% used bath pad and cloth. In urban areas education is among the major tools that can wipe of ignoranc. About 84% girls in Dehradun slum were school goers. However, non school goers were found to be more in Muslim slum areas. Only 23% could respond to the correct cause of menstruation while the rest did not know about it.


  • Recommendations : Awareness and education about menstrual hygiene, distribution of subsidized sanitary pad and accepting menstruation as a normal physical process by people in the community is extremely important. The new scheme of government can prove to be useful if proper education and awareness programs are facilitated.



To know awareness, prior knowledge and practices prevalent among the study population regarding menstruation